Sunday, August 8, 2010

To Blog or Not to Blog - Is that Really a Question?

I've often thought I would like to blog but didn't think I had anything to say that anyone would be interested in.  I still don't know if anyone will be interested in what I have to say, but I have to say it.  I've gotten very involved in my photography these days and I love it.  It was because of my increased concentration on and involvement in photography that I decided to start blogging.  It actually started as a result of this picture:


I love this picture and the mood it evokes - quiet, peaceful and strong.  I've been adding scripture to my pictures for a while but got somewhat sidetracked recently, admiring the picture more than the message.  I submitted this picture with the scripture to a photo contest.  Everyday this month I've submitted a photo and each day I've gotten an "Editor's Pick" award - until I posted this picture.  This is the first one I've submitted that included a verse.

Now, I might just be reading more into this than is really there but I think this photo is as good as and even better than some of the others I've submitted.  It appears I'm not going to get an 'Editor's Pick" for this one.  Is it because of the verse?  I don't know.  Does it matter?  No - not in the long run, because all the "Editor's Pick" designation has done is just validate me as a photographer - to myself.

This picture reminds me that if I have a talent for taking pictures, it is because God gave me this talent.  To Him belongs the glory; not me!  When I take a picture I've always felt like I was capturing some aspect of God's beauty and creation.  I had gotten a bit carried away though, thinking that I deserved the credit.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I love that people love my work.  I cherish the compliments.  And I like the validation getting an "Editor's Pick" award gives me.

But the bottom line is that I want to honor the Lord in my photography.  If I get a compliment, an award, a statement of admiration I'll accept it.  But to God goes the glory!  Thank you, Lord.

And - that's why I decided to blog.

2 comments:

  1. Very thought provoking Vicki. Yes I think this one did not get picked because of the verse added. Maybe the editor was intimidated or just did not know how to relate...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, it would make me wonder as well. Where are you submitting these to?

    ReplyDelete