Saturday, August 4, 2012

Who is Building My House?


When I knew I was going to build my house I also knew I would write in my slab when it was poured. I had watched Nancy write a verse in her slab while Randy held her belt from behind to prevent her from falling into the cement. I knew that even if I had Randy's help again, I couldn't easily write in the actual cement.  So I decided to write my verses on a tile and have the tiles put into the cement before it set.

I watched the pouring of the slab and waited for the right moment to set my tiles.  The cement finisher was working in the area I had picked for the tile in the picture at the top of this entry. We gathered around, several of the cement workers, Curtis (my contractor), and Curtis' helpers.  I handed my tile to the finisher on the slab. He roughed up a spot, placed the tile and pushed it into the cement with his hands.

In a split second I saw the crew boss pick up a stake and pound it into the tile.  The tile split.  He looked mortified, the finisher looked stunned and Curtis, without even missing a beat, got on his cell phone to get another tile to replace the broken one. I hadn't even really looked at the tile yet but everyone was apologizing.  I went and looked at the tile; saw the crack centered in the word "God" and saw the cross the crack created.

I went over to Curtis and told him I didn't want the tile replaced. He asked if I was sure  I said it was perfect just as it was. Man is flawed and even though we build houses they and we aren't perfect.  But God is the perfect builder of everything. And the tile in my cement is my constant reminder.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, Vicki. I probably wouldn't have seen it this way without your viewpoint. You are such a good friend and so touched by the Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, Vicki. Thanks for sharing this account with us.

    ReplyDelete